A Heartfelt Welcome

To those of you who call me friend, those of you that call me love, those of you who call me brother, those of you that call me son, those of you who call me hero, & those of you who don't know me at all: I welcome you to the mind of a man who's destined to save the world...
1 word at a time.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Heartbreak On Shuffle

So I’ve decided
I can’t have anymore
“heartache music”
on my iPod.

It’s depressing.

What sucks worse?
A good 4500 tracks will be deleted
from a song list semi completed
at 6500

That total’s gone now
No more sad songs now
Only party anthems
and thought provoking melodies
from here on out

Give me a good old fashioned love song
to shout in the middle of the streets
“TO BE LOVED…. TO BE LOVED! OH, WHAT A FEELING!!”
Yes you can call me
Prince Akeem
but I’m not Coming to America
I’m walking out of hysteria
out of depression
out of tears falling

But I’ll be damned
if that John Legend joint ain’t calling me
I feel like Kanye is talking for me
Screw you too Alicia Keys
Maroon 5?
Don’t get me started on those guys

You know what’s bad?
I don’t even have to be in the situation
the song is presenting
I wouldn’t have to be sad or mad
I could hear “Can You Stand The Rain”,
be in a completely great mood
and still say
“Why do sad songs sound so good?”

Are they in some way easier to listen to?
Is it because they contain truths?
Is it me or is there something better to
musically & morally relate to
than heartbreaks surrounded by 808s
or tunes about relationship issues?

As much as I’m a victim to
an awesome break-up song too
I’d much rather my spirit
not be so consumed with such gloom

So DJ change the tunes
so I can attempt
to right some wrongs.
Give me something dope
so I can stop falling in love
with heartbreak songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment