A Heartfelt Welcome

To those of you who call me friend, those of you that call me love, those of you who call me brother, those of you that call me son, those of you who call me hero, & those of you who don't know me at all: I welcome you to the mind of a man who's destined to save the world...
1 word at a time.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Follow My Lead

He told my girl

"You know...
You need to stop following him around"

Regardless of the brickwalls of denial
she built to block his relentless attacks
And regardless of me being in the picture
Now mind you
This wasn't just any ol' picture

This was a timeless picture
A dope picture
A roller coaster picture
You know
One of those pictures that capture you
at the peak of your excitement
And when the ride's ended
you get to see the result and say
"Man that was fun...
We look so happy...
We need that picture..."

We both had copies of this image
imprinted into our hearts
We wore them like they
were ironed on t-shirts
So that everyone that saw us
knew what it was

Love

Still in spite of all this
He told her

"You know...
You should stop following him around"

Now obviously this was a guy
unafraid of stepping
Or damn near dancing
on another man's toes
Because who knows
how many other hoes
that persistent pressure
worked on

A hunter
A lion looking at my lady
like she's a gazelle
And I can tell why
I mean her personality is unmatched
She dresses incredibly fly
has gorgeous eyes
and her smile
Is something you'll die for

But although he saw what I see in her
It was the constant disrespect that
prompted me to want to
commit murder

And I'm pretty peaceful...

But I was ready to go to war
when she told me he said

"You know...
You need to stop following him around"

It never occurred to me
that dude might actually
be right
I never thought she
would actually listen to him
either

Here's the kicker:

She had reason to

I was standing still
or walking in place
if you will

"The Treadmill Effect"

Making the right movements
in order to progress forward
whether walking or running
but going absolutely nowhere
I used to have a lot going for me

Not anymore

So how could I blame her for thinking:

"You know...
You should stop following him"

When she left
she could've taken my potential with her
but because I hurt her
she became cruel
She tied it to a stick
which was then fixated to a collar around my neck
allowing my potential to dangle in front of me
out of my reach...

I didn't think I was THAT much of a dog...

But I guess that's what happens when you fall off
You lose life
You lose love
You lose purpose
You lose everything

Those lyrics still ring
in my eardrums

"Yes, I was burned
but I call it a Lesson Learned"

Because in turn
I've learned to never
leave your love
lagging behind you
Have them walk with you
If you really love someone
and want to be with them
you'll carry them
if you have to

Because even if you're going nowhere
for the moment
at least you can say
you have your love with you

So hold that slice of heaven down

Maybe then you won't have to worry about them
ever saying or thinking to themselves:

"You know...
You should probably stop following (him/her) around"

1 comment:

  1. We both had copies of this image
    imprinted into our hearts
    We wore them like they
    were ironed on t-shirts
    So that everyone that saw us
    knew what it was


    I really like this.

    There are a lot of smaller poems here,
    making up your larger poem ...

    ReplyDelete