A Heartfelt Welcome

To those of you who call me friend, those of you that call me love, those of you who call me brother, those of you that call me son, those of you who call me hero, & those of you who don't know me at all: I welcome you to the mind of a man who's destined to save the world...
1 word at a time.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Ways That You Know It's Black History Month

1.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is completely omitted from conversation
"Well what about 'Martin Luther The King??"
"Uhhh... he had his day all to himself last month
F**** Him...
It's all about Malcolm X, Frederick Douglas, & Harriet Tubman now
You know.... the real niggas..."

2.
The token black guy brings his boy to the white frat party

and nobody says s***

"Oh that must be his cousin or something..."

3.
I make random obnoxious rap song adlibs in the middle of conversations with
customers at my job
or
with my parents
or
with pretty much anyone I come into contact with

4.
Interracial dating just ceases to exist
Bruthas dump their girls like they're bout to flush the toilet
and not because they're too cheap about Valentine's Day

Now that I think about it
I was in a interracial relationship once
and it was dope
Some of the most interesting fun and enlightening
times of my life
Too bad I broke her heart
Unfortunately for me
It's not only love that
knows no color

Lies & mistrust are colorblind too

5.
Rock N Roll music is forgotten
Only songs of Duke Ellington
Marian Anderson Louis Armstrong
Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday
are downloaded across the masses
this month

God forbid I blast some Fall Out Boy or Bloc Party
out the speaker in my car

Speaking of music during this month

(True story by the way)
I saw in ad in a catalog that read:
"Celebrate Black History Month with these great albums!!"

Luther Vandross.... "alright ok... He's Black"
Bob Marley... "Island boy... but ok... He's Black"
Beyonce... "HEY BOO!!... She's Black"
Bruno Mars... "Uhhhhhhhhhh"
Eminem... "Hmmmm... ok... He gets a pass"
Soulja Boy... "OH HELL NAW!"

6.
All of a sudden.... Niggas invented everything

Peanut Butter... Black man
Cell phone... Black man
The planet Jupiter... Black man
Freedom... Black man
America... Black man

7.
I can write "nigga" in a poem
and recite it multiple times
in a room where
the open mic audience is
77.3% white...

The host of said open mic
can come up and say whatever
racist remarks
he or she wants...

F***in Flavor Flav
can come walking out
(clock & all)
snatch the mic from me
call me an "Uncle Tom"
and walk off

and nobody get offended but me

Because after all...
It is February...

8.
I start drinking Hennessy

9.
I stop eating chicken...

Don't ask

10.
People start making random quotes out of nowhere...
Like "I have a dream" or
"By any means necessary" or
"I am somebody" or
"F*** the police" or
"Swag" or "Yolo"
or "I make Black History every day... I don't need a month"

11.
I get real sad
Coming to grips
that my people can't come together
the other 11 months out the year
for nothing other than
money music sports or fashion

Misplaced passions... if you will...

We were murdered
raped, whipped
stripped, lynched
hung, shot
demeaned, degraded
and segregated

Funny thing is
even after slavery
we're still doing these things
to ourselves...

12.
I grin...
Accepting the fact
that although I may not stereotypically average
I'm still Black
and I love it

I cherish that

Because in all honesty
It's who I am
not what I am
that makes
me

"Me"

1 comment: