A Heartfelt Welcome

To those of you who call me friend, those of you that call me love, those of you who call me brother, those of you that call me son, those of you who call me hero, & those of you who don't know me at all: I welcome you to the mind of a man who's destined to save the world...
1 word at a time.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Voices

Am I the only one
that hears voices
in their head?

No... of course not

We all hear voices

From our parents to our pets
all of us have many voices
in our heads
What separates us
is the voice we
talk back to

There's always that one
that sticks out
isn't it?

If you could locate the start of it
you would think it's coming
from the space in between
the bottom of your heart
and the top of your stomach

It feels
like a warm sun shower
As if your mom's cooking
is flowing through your veins
turning your fingertips & toes
suddenly into pillows

This voice smells of jasmine
and tastes of
everlasting first kisses

And it sounds

It sounds like nothing

and everything

all at the same time

I remember the first time I heard this particular voice

I was five

I was sitting in a chair in a hospital
watching doctors do
whatever doctors do
in order to make babies
breath correctly

I remember hearing my mother start crying
after my brother stopped

The room froze
and a candle was lit
inside of me

The flame spoke

It sounded like me
only better
As if my voice was
combined with my loved ones'
both present and future
adding in some serious
Barry White baritone
It said:
"Jerel is going to be fine
He will live a healthy life"

Since then I've welcomed that voice
into my temple
Since then it's told me so many things:

"Go here... no, stay there"

"She's the one... no... NO... SHE'S the one!"

"Eat it...... you'll live"

"Ok... ok... what we're gonna do now is
put our clothes on
& get out
NOW!!"

"Shhh... don't worry
Regardless of what you think
they love you...
& they always will"

Now obviously
we the "great, all knowing
human beings" we are
of course we ignore
"The Voice"
from time to time

Maybe because we take it for granted a little
Maybe we know it'll never leave
We know it'll never change

We know the voice that said:

"Don't get in that car
Don't you dare start that ignition
Oh Jesus, you're driving"

is gonna be the same voice that says:

"Whatever you do, don't freak out"
after waking up
sitting on a shattered sunroof
inside of an overturned vehicle

I wish I was lying
when I say that
I haven't heard this voice in a very long time
I let it go
If it ever came back
I'd tell it
"I miss you
I miss you like my grandma that I never got to meet
I know you're there
You always have been
And I'm so sorry I haven't
listened to your song
If I utter your name
would you please
speak through me again
Please"

Everyone
has a name for their
"The Voice"

I call mine "God"

No comments:

Post a Comment