A Heartfelt Welcome

To those of you who call me friend, those of you that call me love, those of you who call me brother, those of you that call me son, those of you who call me hero, & those of you who don't know me at all: I welcome you to the mind of a man who's destined to save the world...
1 word at a time.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

My Kids, My Everything

The kids in my hood are my everything

It brings me joy when I hear their laughter
When they play games in the street
When they introduce each other to the new kid
When the ground shakes
from all the movement their tiny feet make
it brings a grin to my face

Although they have their biological parents
I'm everyone's Pop on this block
And my kids are my everything

So on those really hot days
When the steam is rising up from the pavement
When the heat from that fireball in the sky
proves to be unbearable
That's when I become
Popsicle Pop
Ice Cream Dad

Go to the fridge
Grab all the cool and refreshing treats
Walk outside
and pass them all out to
everyone that wants one

I'm not a kid kidnapper
or a really creepy dude or anything
I just love my kids and their laughter
and I want them to have everything
Because my kids are my everything

I've been here for as long as anyone can remember
So there's no secret about what I do
I do what I do
because I have the means to
As well as a humongous heart too
So it hurts twice as hard
When the group disperses
after receiving what's been given
and only one or two
will actually take the time
to look me in my eyes and say
Thank you 
Thank you for quenching my thirst 
For handing me the elixir 
that evaporates the evil in my existence 
You didn't have to do this 
But you do it anyway

I had a son myself some time ago
and he was taken from this world
from the very people I sought to help
This is no different from today
I love my kids and for their future
I'm hopeful
But it irks me when
they're ungrateful

I don't have to cool them down
I don't have to bless them
But I do
because they're my kids
and my kids are my everything

I just wish they'd be a little more appreciative
I just want a hug, a high five, something!
Don't act like I'm not here
Don't act like you got yourself out of the fire
Yes you have power and favor
because you know me
but don't abuse me

I'm here for you
but should I be
with all the trouble you get into?
Didn't think so
But regardless of the weather
I'll still be here
on the block
passing out popsicles of peace
giving out inspiration ice cream and
distributing hopes and dreams
just to hear my children's laughter

I can do that
because after all
I am God
and you,
my kids, are my everything

No comments:

Post a Comment